List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [News review] LibreSSL support discontinued
From:       "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724 () twc ! com>
Date:       2021-03-27 1:47:00

> On Sun, 2021-01-03 at 21:47 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello,

> > Please review the news item inlined below.  This is based on what
> > I discussed with blueness (LibreSSL team lead).  The news item is kinda
> > long-ish because I wanted to include the full rationale since I believe
> > our users will find it desirable to know it.

> > If it's ok, I'd like to push it soonish.  This will give people around
> > 4 weeks to prepare and/or migrate their systems manually before being
> > hit by the masks.  Afterwards, we'll mask libressl with a prolonged
> > removal date.  I'm thinking of 3 months since I suspect that our
> > packages will start strongly requiring OpenSSL by then.

> > I'm mentioning the LibreSSL overlay since one of our users is
> > interested in maintaining it.  It will probably be the best alternative
> > for users who want to continue fighting the lost cause without causing
> > major problems for Gentoo mainline.

> Thank you all for feedback.  I've just pushed the last version.

> Best regards,
> Michał Górny

Just a couple days ago, I found an article through Distrowatch: Void Linux is \
dropping LibreSSL in favor of OpenSSL.

2021-02-28 	Void to switch back to OpenSSL
void 	At the start of the year we mentioned the Gentoo project was considering \
dropping support for LibreSSL, a fork of the OpenSSL cryptography library. While \
LibreSSL was intended to be smaller, lighter, and more secure, a lot of work and \
improvements have gone into OpenSSL while not many Linux packages are tested against \
LibreSSL, causing problems for their maintainers. The extra effort to maintain \
compatibility with LibreSSL while new features arrive in OpenSSL first has caused the \
Void team to switch from running LibreSSL back to OpenSSL. "The Void Linux team is \
switching back to OpenSSL on March 5th, 2021 (2021-03-05). For most users, there \
should be no noticeable change. If you have any packages installed that are no longer \
provided by Void, or your system has explicit dependencies on LibreSSL, you will of \
course need to take action to ensure your system continues to function after the \
switch."

URL of Void Linux article is

https://voidlinux.org/news/2021/02/OpenSSL.html

Tom