List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs: telegram-desktop & deps
From:       Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2021-03-26 21:43:33

On 28.02.2021 12:21, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
> The following packages are for grabs:
>
> net-im/telegram-desktop
> media-libs/libtgvoip ( no other revdeps )
> media-libs/tg_owt ( no other revdeps )
> dev-cpp/range-v3 ( has another revdep, not only tg )
>
> Many bugs open and many issues.
>
> Before you try to take it over, here's some info for future maintainers:
> 0. you better speak Russian to be able to reach devs =) optional, but VERY \
> beneficial. I can connect you to developer group.
> 1. expect to deal with a lot of bundling, no releases, submodules and all related \
> packaging issues with this approach.
> 2. expect pretty aggressive userbase, very direct, even brutally so.
>
> 3. expect dependency fights between wayland-only crowd and x11-only crowd.
>
> 4. same as above but for pulse vs alsa.
>
> 5. same as above but openssl vs libressl (this one should be easier nowadays as \
> support is going away)
> 6. project is split into 4 repos basically, 1 for app, 1 for webrtc, 1 for cmake \
> files, 1 for audio lib. there are no releases for any except tdesktop itself.
> 7. expect to read a lot of cmake cross-referenced across all those 4 repos.
>
> 8. expect to be able to patch cmake a lot. for example one can't toggle off \
> automagic deps.
> 9. expect to collaborate with other disto developers, who also work on mentioned \
> tasks. rpmfusion and freebsd guys are very helpful and solve same problems as we \
> do.
>
> If you are still reading - reach out, I'll help to get started.
> I don't have time to maintain it anymore, so it either should be removed or go into \
> caring hands, as it needs A LOT OF CARE.
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=telegram-desktop
> --
> Best regards,
> Georgy

Since this message made it to some news websites, I'd like to send a
follow-up with a positive resolution.

tdesktop have finally found a caring person and is now proxy-maintained.
we've got an update that fixes quite a lot of issues, including audio
call crashes under some conditions and work on unbundling critical libraries is in \
progress. it will remain in the tree, I'm proxying and still testing it on
non-amd64 arches (forcing SSE2 is not nice).

stabilization of new versions will happen sooner than later.

Have a nice day ;-)

--
Best regards,
Georgy