List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs
From:       Zoltan Puskas <zoltan () sinustrom ! info>
Date:       2020-05-31 6:02:52

Hi,

I'm stopping proxy maintenance of net-misc/youtube-viewer, as I
stopped using it due to YouTube's new requirement of having a
private developer's key for it to function.

Shared developer key is not a possibility (i.e. setting up a Gentoo key
for such packages) as YouTube rate limits the number of requests per
developer product key, and also considers them ToS violation, which potentially
leads to disabling them pretty fast. See more details on:
https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewer/issues/308

I'm putting up a PR and dropping it to maintainer needed. If no one
wants to pick up the package maybe we should also consider last riting it
after some months, since YouTube API moves fast and old versions tend to
not function after some time.

Cheers,
Zoltan