List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
From:       Michael Orlitzky <mjo () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2020-03-31 22:47:31

On 3/31/20 6:21 PM, Samuel Bernardo wrote:

> But after your explanation, I understand now that mirror types provides
> alias to use in ebuild SRC_URI, specially useful for the update task
> (awesome).

Beware: thirdpartymirrors doesn't really do anything useful for normal
ebuilds in ::gentoo. The gentoo infrastructure will automatically mirror
anything in SRC_URI unless you set RESTRICT=mirror -- and that's where
most people will download them from -- so (for example) adding a bunch
of extra thirdpartymirrors entries to ensure that the distfiles are
accessible is counter-productive: everyone will get the stuff from the
gentoo mirrors anyway, and you wind up with a bunch of dead entries in
the thirdpartymirrors file (at least half of the entries in there right
now are dead, and no one is ever going to clean them up because no one
uses them).