List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
From:       Kent Fredric <kentnl () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2020-03-29 12:47:49

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 20:27:51 +0200
Joonas Niilola <juippis@gentoo.org> wrote:

> AFAIK all major changes have been posted here and pushed with some delay.

In my experience, "Some delay" is usually short, as developers making
the change are eager to push it through.

But the people maintaining the overlays are much more likely to have a
bigger expectation of what that "delay" should be, because many of them
don't have the time to read -dev every day, and they have other things
to do than rework their overlay with regards to patches on ::gentoo.

So what's more likely to happen is the breakage isn't noticed till
users are affected and complaining, and that's not ideal.

( Though at the end of the day, this problem ends up being a "not
enough devs to man the pumps", I have stuff I've let rot because I've
got too many things to do, and nobody really is taking up the slack )