List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News Item: Desktop profile switching USE default to elogind
From:       desultory <desultory () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2019-10-31 3:21:42

On 10/29/19 19:08, Patrick McLean wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 23:03:15 +0000
> James Le Cuirot <chewi@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 11:23:20 -0700
>> Patrick McLean <chutzpah@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> I am not aware of any use cases for elogind/consolekit on servers,
>>> it's really for machines where you have to distinguish between
>>> someone connecting remotely and someone physically using a
>>> keyboard/mouse connected to the machine.
>>
>> I switched from consolekit to elogind on my normally headless ARM box.
>> It runs XMMS2 and outputs through PulseAudio. Under consolekit, my
>> user's /var/run directory would disappear after a while, taking the
>> pulse socket with it. Under elogind, I was able to set my user to
>> "linger", which fixed the issue. It's not a typical use case but yeah,
>> they do have uses outside of desktop.
>
> Which sounds like perfect for a local setup, probably not something
> that should be in a generic profile.

The bulk of the proposed news item is apropos packages and the reason
that the profiles are changing, not actually profile specific
considerations; and running a desktop environment hardly requires
running a desktop profile. Given that the news is largely in regards to
specific packages it seems logical that it would more fully reach the
user base affected by the causal changes were it simply directed to
those with the package being deprecated installed (as indicated in the
proposed news item) without regard for what profile they are using.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of any advantages to limiting it to desktop
profiles despite the direct cause of the news item being a transition in
the profiles; while targeting it more generally does provide the benefit
of reminding users who are not using a desktop profile to at least
consider following suit prior to last rites on a package that they have
installed thereby providing a better user experience on the whole.