List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl
From:       Marek Szuba <marecki () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2019-09-30 12:53:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

For those of you not familiar with it, dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl
packages the OpenCL bits of the proprietary, binary-only AMDGPU-Pro
software stack into a form compatible with the Open Source amdgpu
environment in general and Gentoo in particular. It has been working
surprisingly well for an ugly hack it is but now that we have Radeon
Open Compute-based OpenCL support for amdgpu (which will eventually be
fully Open Source and at the moment only requires proprietary libraries
for one last feature, image support) in the tree I feel it is time for
it to go - especially given that it only support AMD GPUs older than
Vega 10.

Unfortunately it would be awkward to simply last-rite because the
ROC-based implementation does not support ABI_X86_32
(dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime and its dependencies may or may not work
in 32-bit mode but have neither multilib support nor x86 keywords at
present, whereas the closed-source components are only available for
native amd64).

No open tickets on Bugzilla, binaries for both versions currently in the
tree are still available, and beyond the obvious shortcoming of not
supporting more recent GPUs in spite of upstream providing appropriate
libraries (I haven't tried packaging them because my AMD GPU is too old
to test them on), no real problems at the moment.

--=20
MS