List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [arm17] Background to ARM 17.0 profile migration
From:       "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt () iee ! org>
Date:       2018-07-28 1:30:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 25/07/18 00:07, James Le Cuirot wrote:
<snip>
> My initial migration guide was rather scary as changing CHOST is never
> easy and I was concerned that such a guide was never going to be
> sufficiently palatable for a news item. I didn't expect to be able to
> script it up but I gave it a shot and I'm actually quite happy with
> the result. I've run it on the newest (but quite old) glibc stage3, the=

> newest musl stage3, and the newest glibc hardened stage3. All went
> well. It aborts on failure but allows you to rerun it if necessary and
> it will skip the time-consuming builds that have already completed.
> Please give it a try if you can and leave some feedback.
Cool - well done, will give it a roll this end...

[1] was the bug where we were tackling migration attempts ..
> Obviously we will need new stage tarballs so that new systems can start=

> with the new triplet. The official arm stage tarballs are ancient and I=

> have already prepared new stages for armv7a/glibc and armv6j/musl.
> veremitz has been busy building others. The RelEng team has agreed to
> put these up once the profiles go live. Hopefully regular stage
> auto-builds will return in the near future.
>
> I will now follow up this mail with others tagged [arm17] containing:
>
> 1. The news item (including a link to the migration script)
> 2. A toolchain-funcs.eclass patch
> 3. A crossdev patch
>
> Catalyst will need updating too but I will leave it to the RelEng team
> to decide whether they want to update the existing specs or create new
> ones.
>
> Cheers,
The specs 'tree' is a bit of a mess already .. perhaps we can look at
giving it a heavy prune... ??

Updated arm17-stage3's should be building over the weekend all being
well, and no further hardware collapses back at base :/ tfw!

[1] - https://bugs.gentoo.org/602440