List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.5 -> 3.6 switch
From:       Matthew Thode <prometheanfire () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2018-05-15 14:23:00

On 18-05-15 07:38:36, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> In no less than 30 days, we will be switching the default Python targets
> from CPython 3.5 to 3.6.  The new values will be:
>
>   PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6"
>   PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"
>
> If you haven't ported your package to Python 3.6, please look into doing
> it now.  Helpful lists:
>
>  packages missing python3.6 support:
>   list:  https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/35-to-36.txt
>   graph: https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/35-to-36.svg
>
>  packages needing stabilization:
>   l https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/35-to-36-stablereq.txt
>   g https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/35-to-36-stablereq.svg
>
> At the same time, I'd like to remind you that Python 3.4 reaches end-of-
> life in March 2019.  For more details, see [1].
>
> I'll submit a news item for users for review today.  The switch will be
> postponed to account for its publication.
>
> [1]:https://devguide.python.org/#status-of-python-branches

lol, when it gets to nova.

The state for openstack is that upstream currently only tests on 3.5.
They are just starting to test on 3.6 with the stable release with that
testing probably going to occur for the 2019.1 release.  Until then,
most of openstack will be mainly on python 3.6.  That said, there are
not expected to be any problems with openstack on py36, so moving over
sooner may make sense (I was hoping that py36 would be in the rocky
release).

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)