List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: app-portage/repoman/
From:       Zac Medico <zmedico () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2018-03-30 16:47:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 03/30/2018 08:16 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 12:42:09PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:

>>> to repository without prior discussion, and contrary to the promises
>>> given by Portage team such discussion hasn't been started before
>>> merging the changes to master, I'd like to request removing all those
>>> files and not reintroducing them until Portage team specifies their
>>> format and brings it to open discussion.
>>>
>>> Yeah I agree that the format really needs a proper specification. I've
>>> gone ahead and removed them:
>>>
>>> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=f62e76a1e0202dcf55faa2b0fd9b21a1cd184dc8
>>
>> Thanks. I hope this will let us start with a clean slate towards making a good format.
>
> If there is some distro policy that this repoman enhancement violated,
> that's fine and I would like to know about it, but I'm not aware of it.

The format is definitely not fully baked, and will likely change, so I
think it's better to wait for it to mature some more.

> If there isn't, as far as I know, there is no reason for it to be
> blocked.

This is not really blocking anything, people can go ahead and use the
repoman --experimental-repository-modules=y option, even add it to
REPOMAN_DEFAULT_OPTS, and it will just work.
--
Thanks,
Zac