List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: app-portage/gentoolkit-dev deprecation/removal
From:       Paul Varner <fuzzyray () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2017-09-25 15:47:05

On 9/20/17 2:22 PM, Paul Varner wrote:
> On 9/20/17 2:49 AM, Martin Gysel wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, 19. September 2017, 19:10:23 CEST schrieb Paul Varner:
>>> emerge --deselect app-portage/gentoolkit-dev
>>> emerge --depclean app-portage/gentoolkit-dev
>>>
>> why deselect it first? From man emerge, --depclean:
>> "When given one or more atoms, it will unmerge matched packages that
>> have no
>> reverse dependencies."
>>
> Mainly as an extra precaution. However, just --depclean should work.
> This is the update with the typo pointed out by ulm corrected and
> changing the command to just be depclean.
>
> Regards,
> Paul
I just realized that the devmanual says to copy PR on the news items, so
they are copied on this message. This should be what gets committed
after three days as there have been no more comments on the item.

Regards,
Paul

["2017-09-19-gentoolkit-dev-deprecation.en.txt" (text/plain)]

Title: app-portage/gentoolkit-dev deprecation and removal
Author: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: app-portage/gentoolkit-dev

The app-portage/gentoolkit-dev package has been deprecated and the ebump,
ekeyword and imlate have been moved to the app-portage/gentoolkit-0.4.0
package. With the upcoming marking of >=app-portage/gentoolkit-0.4.0 stable,
users will need to take action since gentoolkit-dev and those versions of
gentoolkit block each other.

In order to upgrade to the new version of gentoolkit, you will need to resolve
the blocks. The following command will remove gentoolkit-dev from your world
set and uninstall gentoolkit-dev. This will then allow the installation of
>=app-portage/gentoolkit-0.4.0.

emerge --depclean app-portage/gentoolkit-dev

Once >=app-portage/gentoolkit-0.4.0 is stabilized, the remaining gentoolkit-dev
releases will be masked for removal and subsequent tree-cleaning.