List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
From:       Alexis Ballier <aballier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2017-06-15 18:09:01

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:48:42 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 19:30:02 +0200
> Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:04:35 +0100
> > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > USE=minimal
> > > USE=mips
> > > USE=-ssl
> > >

> > So what?
>
> So, if the aim of this solution is to make things better for the user,
> what are you doing to establish that this will make things better for
> the user instead of recommending something awful?

Considering that the way you write REQUIRED_USE defines how the solver
behaves, your problem is ill defined.

If I try to ask my crystal ball, I would say: USE=mips is either masked
or forced so never an option. Developer would not want USE=minimal to
be toggled randomly so would write a constraint so that it always
appears e.g. on the left part of an implication.