List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
From:       William Hubbs <williamh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2017-02-07 15:23:22

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 01:22:22AM +0100, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> I'd recommend to jump a bandwagon and switch to CMake.
>
> Yes, it's ugly in certain areas, has its quirks but whoever switches to it
> ones, never goes back, and not because of technical debt being too big.
>
> Also because I can help with it (and a lot of folks can), while Meson is still
> largely unknown.

Thanks for the offer, but i have no interest in CMake. I have heard from
multiple sources how difficult it is to work with.

The current plan for this, in the upstream issue, is to offer a meson
build and keep the makefiles around for a while.

I will ask all downstream distros to take a look at the meson build and
let me know if there are issues that would block them from using it.

On Gentoo, I know of at least these:

- Meson needs a new release (0.38.1 should be coming soon) -- actually
  this affects any distro.

- meson itself needs to be keyworded on all of our arches.

- ninja needs to be fixed so that it works on amd64 hardened.

So, it will be some time before any major changes, like dropping the
Makefiles, happen.

William