List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving repoman checking, better idea (add arch.desc file)
From:       "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2017-01-29 21:07:47

> > Proposal No 2:
> > * Leave profiles.desc unmodified
> > * Introduce a new file arch.desc, which contains the "stability
> > status" of an
> > arch;
> >
> > Syntax: 2 columns,
> > # arch status
> > amd64	stable
> > mips	testing
> > sh		unstable
> >
> > The meaning of the keywords "stable", "testing", "unstable" is the
> > same as in
> > the previous proposal,
>
> Maybe declare from the start that any extra columns should be silently
> ignored in implementations from start, as to be able to safely add more
> columns in the future without breaking backwards compatibility.

Makes sense.

> > 3) On introduction of the new column, it will be set to "stable" for
> > all
> > stable arches, "testing" for all arches where "inofficial" stable
> > keywords
> > exist (sh, s390, ...), and "unstable" everywhere else.
>
> Might want a "broken" (with maybe a better name) for some of these. I
> bet the ~arch of some of these is broken too, and no-one to respond to
> keyword requests, just happens when it happens.
> arm64 and mips are in that state too until we get that fixed and could
> move to "testing" and then later "stable" in case of arm64.

That's already "in the system". Let's discuss, for example, m68k (my favourite
broken arch).

Now:
* There are some stable keywords hanging around, but nobody cares about them
except the m68k arch team (= Mike).
* All m68k profiles are "exp".
Repoman happily ignores it (unless you use -e).

In the near future:
* m68k is marked "testing" in arches.desc
* All m68k profiles remain "exp"
Repoman *still* happily ignores it (unless you use -e); if you use -e, it will
test it with ~m68k=m68k.

In the far future, given the arch team is intersted:
* Upgrade profiles from exp to dev or even stable -> repoman will test it more,
but still using ~m68k=m68k.

So, whatever "non-support for broken arches" we have now will keep existing.
Just that migrating away from it gets easier.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org