List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: x11-drivers/ati-drivers, x11-libs/amd-adl-sdk, x11-libs/xvba-video
From:       James Le Cuirot <chewi () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2017-01-28 9:49:12

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 03:36:26 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> (Tho for anyone thinking about it, the rx460, aka polaris11, I purchased,
> ended up being a poor choice as despite the hardware apparently
> supporting 3840x2160@60Hz, the freedomware drivers at least, apparently
> don't yet, so at that resolution I'm stuck at the same 30Hz that I
> believe I would have been stuck with on the older Turks card, which works
> better otherwise as the drivers for it have had longer to mature.)

You may have better luck with AMD's "DC" kernel branch.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=amd-staging-4.9

This is just as free but not yet mainlined. You can use it with Mesa or
AMDGPU-PRO but I highly recommend the former.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself yet.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer