List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation, profiles/ mess.
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-11-30 11:07:42

>> - one ChangeLog for each first-level subdir other than categories
>>   (i.e. eclass, licenses, profiles, etc.),
> Already done, just querying if profiles/ needs more ChangeLog detail.

Yeah, keep one ChangeLog for all of profiles/. The existing
sub-ChangeLogs there are rather confusing because they don't seem to
follow any consistent layout.

Keeping one single file would also agree with the recommendation for
commit messages, namely to prepend "profiles:" for any change below
the profiles/ dir.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Commit_message_format

> Here's the size of the non-category non-package changelogs, with
> splitting to all top-levels.
>     127 scripts/ChangeLog-2016
>    1266 metadata/ChangeLog-2016
>    1929 ChangeLog-2016
>   11987 licenses/ChangeLog-2016
>  198021 eclass/ChangeLog-2016
>  362733 profiles/ChangeLog-2016

> If we collapse to have:
> - per-package
> - major top-levels: eclass/, profile/, licenses/
> - (everything else)
> Then we get:
>   11972 licenses/ChangeLog-2016
>   12941 ChangeLog-2016
>  196905 eclass/ChangeLog-2016
>  362040 profiles/ChangeLog-2016

I like the second scheme better. (No strong opinion about keeping
separate ChangeLogs for metadata/ and scripts/ though.)

Ulrich