List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
From:       Daniel Campbell <zlg () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-10-23 8:46:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 10/17/2016 01:21 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:20:42 -0400
> "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@o-sinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Part of the idea everyone is missing is time... It takes time to go look at
>> information a package metadata.xml If the package is coming in as a
>> dependency. Instead of just being able to visually look at the package name
>> and know.
>>
>> This is a binary package from upstream
>> This is a binary package from Gentoo
>
> There's quite a lot of metadata that *might* be important ( but isn't ) and is only
> available as metadata, not visible in the package name itself.
>
> Like, LICENSE, and "where its fetched from"
>
>   dev-lang/perl-artistic-gpl2+-cpan-5.24.1
>
> This is just getting silly.
>
> Exposing metadata in the package atom should be out of *necessity*,
> not some misguided sense of visibility.
>
> For every other kind of metadata, those who care about it should invest
> effort into exposing it.
>
> That's why my example elsewhere abuses the LICENSE field to demonstrate
> how end users can make a choice/see the reality using out-of-name
> metadata.
>
> But there is quite frankly no *need* for -gbin and -bin
>
> The only real /technical/ reason we have both -bin and -gbin is it
> avoids the binary version competing for a name with the source-built
> version.
>
> That is, if there is a "-bin" package, its viable some day there may be
> a non "-bin" package, and that they may both be available side-by-side
> and you may wish to choose between them.
>
> But "-gbin" and "-bin" coexisting side-by side is a usecase I can't see
> being useful to anybody.

+1

It sounds like a good intention, but users who don't check that sort of
thing likely don't care or won't know which decision is "right" for
them. Metadata makes the most sense, as that's the entire point of
_meta_data. app-portage/gentoolkit is imo almost required for
administering a Gentoo machine. equery and eix are amazingly useful as a
user. I can't fathom a reason not to use them.

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net