List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Changes coming to libmysqlclient.so providers
From:       Brian Evans <grknight () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-09-28 14:29:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

My fellow developers,

I've previously asked that packages which link to libmysqlclient.so be
moved to virtual/libmysqlclient as a {,R}DEPEND.  There are some which
have done so but many have not.

There are major changes coming with MariaDB 10.2 and MySQL 5.7 so either
the devs will have to do it or users will have to rely on either
revdep-rebuild or @preserved-rebuild.

MySQL 5.7 is moving to libmysqlclient.so.20 and MariaDB is providing
libmariadbclient.so (LGPL).

For packages that still depend on virtual/mysql but really only need to
link to libmysqlclient.so, change to virtual/libmysqlclient:= to help
users with rebuilds.

A few packages, dev-db/myodbc comes to mind, will need certain slots of
virtual/libmysqlclient that I have yet to finalize.

In addition, some packages will break if they depend on private APIs
exposed in previous libmysqlclient.so's as upstreams are tightening down.

Thank you,

Brian
MySQL Team Lead