List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: OpenRC 0.22 updates
From:       Daniel Campbell <zlg () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-09-25 21:48:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 09/24/2016 07:34 AM,  »Q « wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:39:50 -0500
> William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> In previous versions of OpenRC, configuration information was
>> processed so that service-specific configuration stored
>> in /etc/conf.d/* was overridden by global configuration stored
>> in /etc/rc.conf. This release reverses that. Global configuration is
>> now overridden by service-specific configuration.
>
> I get what this is saying, but it would be nice if practical
> implications of it could be spelled out.

It means anything set on a general level is superceded by more specific
rules. So if FOO="bar" in say make.conf but you need $FOO to be "baz"
for <service>, OpenRC will choose the value in /etc/conf.d/service
instead of wherever the general variable is set (/etc/rc.conf ? Not sure)

It's pretty standard for most pieces of software, so it's bound to be a
welcome change that will avoid some potential config bugs.
--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net