List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
From:       Daniel Campbell <zlg () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-08-31 21:24:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 08/28/2016 11:15 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
> Ok all,
>
> here is what openrc-0.22 is going to do in terms of setting the host
> name.
>
> If /etc/hostname exists, the first word of that file will be used as the
> host name.
> Otherwise, if the value is set in /etc/conf.d/hostname it will be used.
> Otherwise, OpenRC will not touch the hostname.
>
> One advantage of this, on Linux, is that you can set your host name in
> the kernel and this setting will be respected.
>
> Also, this means the script by default can run in containers if they
> allow overriding the hostname inside the container.
>
> William

I didn't see anyone else reply to this so I will. I think that's the
best way of supporting both without requiring (much) putzing around. If
a user changes /etc/conf.d/hostname and it doesn't change, the fix would
be to delete (or update) /etc/hostname and all is good in the world again.

Supporting kernel-level hostname as a side effect is even better. No
complaints here!

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net