List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc runscript transition (draft 3)
From:       Thomas Deutschmann <whissi () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-08-24 22:51:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 2016-08-24 23:59, William Hubbs wrote:
> Since OpenRC is used outside of Gentoo, a warning like this would have
> to be:
>
> * /etc/init.d/test uses runscript and must be converted to openrc-run
> * For more details see the OpenRC NEWS file
>
> because we don't know where or if the file will be installed by
> downstreams.

Yes, this will be the message in OpenRC's SRC. However you could patch
that message for Gentoo in the ebuild.

>> In "/usr/share/doc/openrc-*/openrc-migration*" we describe _why_ this
>> was changed and tell them that all files in FILESDIR were already
>> migrated so chances are high that
>>
>>   # emerge --oneshot -av $(grep -l '/sbin/runscript' /etc/init.d/*)
>>
>> will replace most runscripts with migrated scripts.
>>
>> If the user has already done that he/she should check which packages
>> owns the runscript (qfile /etc/init.d/foo) and should file a bug against
>> that package.
>
> We can't really put anything distro-specific in the news file, because we
> don't know how distros will handle it.

...now with the patched message you can promote our own file. And this
file can get installed from $FILESDIR for example.

You are using GitHub for OpenRC upstream, right? So create a guide in
project's Wiki (or add it to the docs folder in the src) which will
explain the changes. This guide can have a section to explain what to do
on Debian, one for Gentoo... but this is all upstream.

My point is, that for Gentoo downstream, you can patch/customize like we
do for all the other packages to work with Gentoo.

>> And as additional help sys-apps/openrc ebuild should start scanning for
>> "/sbin/runscript" usage in pkg_postinst and show an ewarn with text
>
> I wouldn't say that the OpenRC ebuild should be concerned about this,
> but I believe there is a check in repoman for it.

I agree. However I see that more like a service for Gentoo users. Users
don't run repoman. And don't forget that the user could have _custom_
runscripts or additional packages from other sources which repoman will
never see... so it is nice to have a friendly reminder (the problem is,
that if an user acts _now_ and fixes all currently installed runscripts
he/she could face the problem in future again if he/she installs a new
package after that which wasn't updated yet... that's why I would add
such a scan).

...and we don't need to believe to catch all the runscripts in the world
even if openrc-1.0.0 will be released in 100y. Some user will finally
notice with the newsitem prior openrc-1.0.0 release which will tell them
that /sbin/runscript was finally removed... but there _will_ be users
after that which will get hit. And they will complain "you" broke their
system despite all the effort to prevent such situations. ;-)

--
Regards,
Thomas