List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Upgrading Old Gentoo - Was Re: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care
From:       "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt () iee ! org>
Date:       2016-08-24 14:42:05

On 24/08/16 15:08, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> This reminds me a question I have for some time: is it documented in
> some place what are the steps to follow for updating old systems? I
> remember posts like:
> http://blog.siphos.be/2013/12/upgrading-old-gentoo-installations/
>
> but I don't know if that is "official" or a workaround or... :/
>
> Thanks a lot for the info!

I'll confess I've often resorted back to a stage3, and simply installed
packages from /var/lib/portage/world .. or you can be bold and copy it
over, and see what breaks. But I am interested in the process you linked
=2E. its just not very accessible without the older snapshots. Dunno
whether there is a convenient way to "roll-back" gentoo, besides doing a
git checkout of the tree, and progressively working back from a suitable
snapshot ....

MJE