List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [RFC] Masterplan for solving LINGUAS problems
From:       Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible () gmx ! de>
Date:       2016-05-31 22:54:30

Mike Gilbert wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> How can I select different linguas for individual packages with this
>> approach?
>
> Why would you want to?

As programmer I am used to read English manuals and for most command line
tools it is the only up-to-date documentation. Development tools or system
configuration with translated manuals is simply awful for me. Therefore I've
set LINGUAS to "en" in make.conf and run my shells with "LANG=en_US.UTF-8".

Situation changes for GUI stuff like office applications where I feel more
comfortable as "normal" user. KDE is configured for German language and for
a lot of those apps I've explicitly set linguas_de in package.use. For
libreoffice and calligra I've even added linguas_fr to get French spelling
support.

For me it is currently very convenient to look simply at the use flags of a
package to see which languages will be supported. Gnucash is the only
application I had to set environment variables for (using package.env) to
get German language support (and it took me a while to find this and get it
right). I may have missed other packages that do not use IUSE_EXPAND, simply
because I am not aware of the support.

Cheers,
Jörg