List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: ALLARCHES
From:       Kent Fredric <kentfredric () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-05-04 6:01:36

On 4 May 2016 at 16:46, Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Having built many stages for an "unstable" arch (mips) has taught me
> one thing: it's awful being unstable-only. There's no end to the
> compilation failures and other such headaches, none of which have
> anything at all to do with the specific architecture.
>
> Short of adding a middle level ("stable, wink wink nudge nudge") where
> things at least compile, I think the current situation is actually
> significantly better than the alternative of dropping them to
> unstable.

I feel like there needs to be something inbetween, a mechanism where
things can be deemed "tentatively stable", where in they can still be
later destabilized if evidence compels it.

As it is, stabilization seems one-directional. If critical defects are
found in "stable" releases, they tend not to escalate in the other
direction.

And I understand why that is, but it doesn't stop me wishing otherwise.

But instead of adding a rung between stable and unstable ... maybe the
right approach is to add a layer /beneath/ stable : "Long term
stable".

Where long-term stable is "Known to be good at a deep and thorough
level by people who use the software regularly".

Long-term stable at this point is not something I'd suggest people set
as their keywords in general, but it would be a thing that would only
be granted to specific packages on a case-by-case basis, and it would
only be encouraged to be used in the sense of
/etc/portage/package.keywords , where mixing long-term stable and
stable would be "supported" ... somehow.

IDK, there's still a lot wrong with my ideas, but hopefully there's
some ball here to run with.

--
Kent