List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New project: Crypto
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2015-12-29 16:59:36

Rich Freeman posted on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:27:59 -0500 as excerpted:

> In the US everybody seems to be afraid of big brother but big brother
> has enough big data that he doesn't really need you to use his fancy
> signing device anyway.

It isn't just big brother, tho that's bad enough.  Such a government
mandated device for signing all financial transactions is a political no-
go here in the US due to "mark of the beast" concerns.  After all, the
prophesy did say people couldn't buy or sell without it, and even a lot
of people who are no longer generally religious are still wary of that.

That's one of the reasons the post-9/11 federally mandated ID reforms had
so much resistance, and those aren't required to buy or sell.  If someone
tried to mandate something like that for financial transactions it could
very easily spark a revolution here, and I'm not kidding.