List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
From:       wireless <wireless () tampabay ! rr ! com>
Date:       2015-09-24 7:45:44

On 09/24/2015 09:59 AM, Todd Goodman wrote:

> Again, I'm not arguing for or against Gerrit, just relating my
> experience with it.

Hello Todd,

I'm not a dev, but I have over a dozen ebuilds I have hacked together.
They need work, and there are devs who are helping me. Some of these
ebuilds are becoming quite large, due to the numerous jars or the
extensive configuration of the initial config file setup. I enjoy the
learning and hacking part, but gentoo's tool collection presents itself
as somewhat disjointed, imho.

If a  collection of overlays could be used to setup a prototype
of Gerrit, then, I'd be willing to participate in fully exploring Gerrit
and its use to 'unify' the  development effort between user hacked
ebuilds and the portage tree. There is currently no well defined path
for hackers to become contributors and maybe eventually devs, the flux
is even more partitioned with github now in the mixxx. If Gerrit could
unify (like an integrated, experimental restructuring of the devmanual
into)the workflow tools, I think Gerrit could become a wonderful
addition to gentoo. Maybe a prototype effort will allow the Gerrit
community within Gentoo to flush out issues before being formally
proposed to the larger gentoo dev community?

The devmanual, at least the version used by hackers  and those learning
'the gentoo way' to create ebuilds, should become more open to
enhancements, details and examples; and who is more qualified to make
those mods than folks trying to use the devmanual to get codes stable
and maybe eventually into the portage tree?  The current devmanual is
good, if you know what you are doing; a bit weak in the teaching by
example category, particularly for current and recent issues.

curiously,
James