List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
From:       Michał Górny <mgorny () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2015-09-13 22:22:46

Dnia 2015-09-14, o godz. 00:19:38
Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:13:30 +0100 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:07:26 +0300
> > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > I'm aware of that, but from this thread I see that some people are
> > > trying to activate it. I hope this will never happen.
> >
> > But Gentoo is about choice!
>
> Yes, but as long as choice of core components and infrastructure is
> free one. Read Gentoo Social Contract:
>
> https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
>
> "However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or
> metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the
> GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
> Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open
> Source Initiative (OSI)."
>
> What actually happens now is that several individual are trying to
> undermine this concept and to tie Gentoo to the proprietary
> metadata. And some point this dependence will become irreversible.

I don't know if you didn't read the proposal, or if you are unable to
understand it. You are seriously *offending* me and the few other
developers who are trying *really hard*.

So let me make this clear: I am trying to make it possible for the
community to contribute in any way it finds *convenient* while not
forcing anyone to use any external (proprietary or non-proprietary)
platform.

If you want to know my personal opinion: I hate GitHub. But I don't let
my personal feelings harm the community which is willing to contribute
in this particular way. I believe we should be thankful to people who
would like to help making Gentoo better, not reject their work because
it uses a platform I don't like.

> It is a pain for me to see that several developers under disguise of
> "community" and "integration" are trying hard to make that happen,
> step by step.

And it is a pain for us to read such unfounded accusations. This is
incorrect, and very offensive. If this is really your belief, please
keep it to yourself. By writing this you are only causing unnecessary
anger and frustration which are not helping anyone.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny