List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: changes with udev-init-scripts-28
From:       Alexis Ballier <aballier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2015-05-31 11:11:35

On Fri, 29 May 2015 12:39:28 -0500
William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 12:20:58PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 06:49:36PM +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:

> > > what will happen if i make a new install and forget to add udev
> > > to my runlevels ?
> >
> > I thought adding services to runlevels on the livecd and in the
> > stages was a function of catalyst, so you shouldn't have any issues
> > with this.
> >
> > Releng, please chime in here, am I wrong about this?
>
> Ok, I got the information I need from releng.
>
> This will be a function they can handle once they start doing stage 4
> builds instead of stage 3. So, I will add it back until then.

Add back what? auto-add of udev to runlevels ? Your 2nd draft doesnt
seem to say so :)

Anyway, when doing so please keep in mind the following scenarios:

- Newcomers that make a new install with the handbook. This information
  about udev init script *needs* to be in the handbook.
- Oldschoolers that make new installs almost from memory, maybe with the
  x86 quick install guide as a memo. They will probably miss anything
  that is not a news item.
- Embedded handbook that advocates usage of crossdev and /usr/$CHOST as
  a SYSROOT, nfs root, or even to copy this to the device's storage.
  Those will not start off a releng-provided stage (though might not
  even use udev either).

Alexis.