List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Hey arch teams, we need your input!
From:       Tobias Klausmann <klausman () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2015-04-28 9:07:20

Hi!

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:04:11 -0400
> Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > If we're talking about human parsing, can you give an example of how
> > variation makes your life more difficult today?  I'm just trying to
> > understand what we're trying to fix...
>
> Reading through hundreds of Summaries. If the atoms and the request
> variant are always in the same place, parsing by humans is MUCH quicker.

Look at security bugs that ask for stabilization with the goal of
having a GLSA. The bugs all look the same and I wish all
stabilization and keywording bugs adopted the same format.

There is one corner case where that format is not enough:
multiple ebuilds/versions with non-homogenic archs, i.e.:

cat-egory/packageA-1.2.3    amd64 x86 alpha
cat-egory/packageB-2.3.9    amd64 alpha
cat-egory/packageC-3.99     amd64 x86 ppc64
cat-egory/packageD-10.2.5a  alpha

The format I used here seemes to be slightly more common than
others and it is good enough for me™.

Any add-on prose should be _after_ the standardized bit.

And while we're talking about ponies:

Let's make it trivial for the requester to also specify the
_correct and complete_ list of per-arch dependencies that also
need to be tested and keyworded. It is one of the most annoying
things about stabilization bugs: having to hunt dependencies.

Side note: please make sure to include all FEATURES=test gated
dependencies, too. The prose should also mention if there are
circular ones (I'm looking at you, dev-ruby/*).

There, now that's off my chest.

Regards,
Tobias

--