List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enablement of drop-in configuration files
From:       Alec Warner <antarus () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2015-03-31 21:21:10

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been bumping heads with Mike Frysinger (vapier) on the topic of
> drop-in config files that are utilized by quite a few system services
> on Gentoo. For reference, see bug 544150.

I am going to the movies with Mike tomorrow, I will be sure to cuddle him
on your behalf.

> Mike claims that Gentoo has a policy of "not enabling anything by
> default", and that this policy applies to both init scripts, and
> drop-in configuration files.

I would say the policy for *services* is that non-critical services are not
enabled by default. I would argue that is a policy decision that is distro
wide.
Maintainers are of course, at liberty to determine if their service is
'critical' or not.

> I counter that we have no such policy. We don't generally enable init
> scripts by default because that just makes logical sense. Mike F. is
> trying to apply this same logic to drop-in configs, and that just
> doesn't fit.

> Regarding drop-in configuration files, there are many examples where
> these are generally enabled by default, or it is left to the
> maintainers discretion:
>
> - udev rules are enabled by default
> - crontab entries are left to the maintainer, but are generally
> enabled by default
> - tmpfiles.d entries are enabled by default
> - logrotate entries are enabled by default
> - binfmt.d entries are enabled by default
>
> Further, the way many of these services is designed does not allow for
> the drop-in configs to be easily disabled by default by the OS vendor.
> However, in most cases, they may be disabled by the sysadmin by use of
> an overriding drop-in config somewhere under /etc.
>
> My questions to the community:
>
> - Do we have a policy regarding enablement of drop-in config files?

Maintainers discretion.

> - If so, what is it? Where is it documented?

My brain; seriously though, generally undocumented things imply maintainers
discretion.

> - If not, do we need a policy and what should it be?

I hope not; but if you do something silly, be prepared to get called on it.