List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] do we need special elog messages for bindist?
From:       Ben Kohler <bkohler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-25 20:04:48

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I would like to remove the elog for a couple of reasons:
>
> 1. The use flag description is there for whoever cares to read it.
> There is no need to alert the user every time.
> 2. We are not lawyers, and I have no business giving legal advice
> about patent law which varies from country to country.
>
> To take it one step further: I think it would make more sense to call
> the flag "h264" or something similar. We could then set
> RESTRICT="h264? ( bindist )" if we want to give some indication that
> it is not appropriate for binary redistribution.
>
> What you're saying here makes sense and I agree, but our users are already
pretty confused about USE=bindist... what it does, why it's enabled by
default, etc.  If this is going to stay enabled by default in our stage3s
(there's an open bug about possibly changing that) then I really think we
should add a paragraph to the handbook that explains things.

It seems that most new users don't have any idea what bindist is until they
find some feature missing or they hit the classic openssl/openssh blocker
and someone has to explain the whole thing to them.

So in summary, let's get rid of the per-ebuild einfo warnings but let's
educate the users about USE=bindist earlier.

-Ben