List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
From:       Gordon Pettey <petteyg359 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-11-23 17:54:43

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:05:03AM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > That's at most an argument that USE="-*" should be a theoretically valid
> > configuration. It does not mean that the setting makes sense for anyone.
> >
> > USE="-*" was maybe a reasonable idea before we had use defaults.
> >
> > Now, by setting USE="-*", you deviate from upstream defaults at random
> places
> > and pointlessly mess up the dependency calculations of python / ruby /
> > multilib / ... packages.
> >
> > Message to users- if you want a minimum set of useflags, start from the
> main
> > default profile of your arch. That's what it is for. Everything else,
> and you
> > sure get to keep the pieces.
>
> Agreed. If you want to turn things off, I would recommend starting your
> use with something like:
>
> USE="-foo -bar -bas ..."
>
> so that you turn off the specific things you want to turn off.

That's quite infeasible given the number of package-level defaults. It is
far easier to parse conflicts when I know anything that has been enabled
was explicitly enabled by myself,and not through random-maintainer-X's
preference. 3743 package-level defaults of 1474 USEs is just a few too
many. Starting with USE="-*" provides sanity. As has been said so many
times in this and related threads, if users wanted upstream's defaults, we
wouldn't be using a distro with USE.