List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] status of bugs blocking gcc-4.8.3
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-10-31 17:02:30

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:

> lu - hoping rust won't have such issues.

Funny - I first heard of this earlier this week.  Biggest issue I see
with rust is that it seems like it has joined the
every-language-needs-its-own-package-manager club, and it seems to me
that it really encourages static linking.  The build system doesn't
seem particularly distro-friendly, let alone source-based
distro-friendly.

However, I have only spent about an hour learning about rust, so I'm
certainly interested if others know better.

I really like the concept though.  ADA has always been on my list of
things I'd love to spend time on someday, and Rust seems to be a more
modern take on the concept.

--
Rich