List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] commit message format change on the wiki
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-09-27 23:51:38

> I would like to suggest a couple of changes to the "commit message
> format" section of the Gentoo git Workflow page on the wiki.

> The first bullet, which states that all lines have a max length of
> 70-75 characters is not quite correct. The brief explanation (the
> first line) is supposed to be 50 characters or less.

"No more than 70-75 characters" for the summary is what
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches recommends. If we
require a "${CATEGORY}/${PN}: " prefix in the summary (which I think
is very reasonable) then it will be difficult to shorten this to 50.

I'd say we should stay with that Linux recommendation. "git log"
indents by 4 positions, so a width of 75 chars should still be fine on
a terminal with 80 columns.

Ulrich