List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
From:       Tom Wijsman <TomWij () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-09-15 9:57:10

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:28:16 +0100
Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's limit our sample to Gentoo tree then. How frequently arches list
> shrinked as a result of bumping  the version (because the upstream has
> chosen so, not because of insufficient resources to keep testing all
> previously stated arches)?

They do not shrink only due to a result of bumping.

In the ideal case it is indeed announced and we can do it at bump time;
in the less ideal case they rather shrink due to us finding out that
a particular major feature does no longer work on an architecture.

This could thus also happen due to an incompatibility with one or
another dependency for which no further architecture specific code is
written, or perhaps due to an architecture specific bug that has arisen.

In the ideal case, shrinking wouldn't be a problem; in the less ideal
case, having no keywords is preferable to shrinking as continuously
testing live ebuilds isn't affordable.