List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: tl;dr: [gentoo-dev] Fw: reviewboard and its bugs
From:       "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-08-20 3:34:04

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> tl;dr: python package has nodejs dependencies, we don't have a mechanism
> like distutils.eclass to install those system-wide.
>
> I gave this a try some time ago and was bummed down by some things. I dont
like nodejs enough, and npm devs seems to not care about centrally/globally
installed packages. There are some npm packages that have to be modified so
they can work when globally installed and it gets boring after a while. npm
packages tend to be really small so one package can have a really high
number of deps.

If anybody is interested in this, check out my repo with npm packages[0]
and a really simple g-npm tool[1] to generate ebuilds for them. These tools
might be outdated cause I don't use nodejs anymore and I dont care much
about it.

Feel free to ping me if you have questions.

Cheers,

[0] https://github.com/neurogeek/gentoo-overlay (I might have something
more recent somewhere)
[1] https://github.com/neurogeek/g-npm