List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
From:       Tom Wijsman <TomWij () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-08-13 8:13:38

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:32:37 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Nice capitalisation! Speaking of which, where is the US$ 1,000,000
> (ONE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) you promised in your last e-mail?

Nice placement of the space behind the dollar sign! No money for you.

> Don't bother to file bug reports if you think a fully up to date
> system is not for you.

Where do we state to have a fully up-to-date system before filing a bug?

This in particular becomes interesting to do when the bug keeps you from
updating your system; or even further, rendering it non bootable.

We need to fix things such that people have a working system that they
can bring up-to-date; not the other way around, as that is pointless.

Automatic updates is a goal to pursue; well, at least if you want
everyone to have a fully up-to-date bootable system that can update.

> > Is there any option in emerge to pull MINIMUM packages to
> > get the result - install the application you need, leaving
> > everything else AS IS untouched and stable?
>
> RTFM.

Why do you point to a manual which does not document such feature?