List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
From:       Chris Reffett <creffett () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-08-09 15:44:21

On August 9, 2014 10:56:49 AM EDT, Igor <lanthruster@gmail.com> wrote:
 [snip]
> Just the main blockers are:
>
> - Somebody has to implement this technology
> - That requires time and effort
> - People have to be convinced of its value
> - Integration must happen at some level somehow somewhere in the
> portage toolchain(s)
> - People must opt in to this technology in order for the reports to
> happen
> - And only then can this start to deliver meaningful results.
>

> IMHO seriously, it could be done if ONLY portage dev team would
> implement
> an interface CAPABLE for HTTP reporting. Once the interface is there
> but turned off
> by default - server side statistics are feasible. Personally I don't
> see any future of
> this system unless it's coded in portage. Today - portage support
> without server side
> - tomorrow - server side.

Then write it. Portage's source is available to anyone. I remember that you were on \
this list earlier this year pushing for "Portage QOS" or something. Keep in mind what \
a significant number of people told you then: first, if you want to make some change, \
just do it and show us what you have, rather than asking  for votes and permission \
and changes. Second, repeatedly saying "we should have (some feature)" doesn't work \
if the people who would do the work (the portage team) don't see value in it. From \
the general response on the list, I would say this is the case. This means that if \
you want the feature, write it and come back with an implementation, since \
complaining about it is getting you nowhere.

Chris Reffett