List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: minimalistic emerge
From:       Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-09 12:16:04

Hey all.

Regarding updates breaking the system, NixOS might be worth a try.
The functional nature of the package manager there lets you try out an
update, either live or in a VM, as well as roll back to the old
configuration in case of problems. Due to the design there's no risk
in building updates on a stable system, the build process won't
interfere until all the updates are built and you decide to try it out
in some way (other by exhausting RAM etc).
They also have both stable release branches and a master branch with
more updated packages.

(Not trying to start a distro war, please excuse me if it sounds like this.)

Best regards,
Ambroz