List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
From:       Rich Freeman <rich0 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-08-09 2:14:04

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I don't think we have any sort of tree-wide policy on this either, do
> we?  Although I believe common sense says it's a good idea (and i hope
> most devs do this) to put a minver on a dependency atom if there was
> any ebuild with an older version in the tree within the last year.

There is no reason not to specify a version constraint if you're aware of it.

However, I wouldn't expect devs to go digging around in cvs for
year-old package versions to test against them.  If upstream happens
to say it requires foo-1.5, by all means just take their word for it
and list it, but more often than not they don't bother to test old
versions either or note when the APIs they use were introduced.

Rich