List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
From:       Igor <lanthruster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-08 20:52:17

Hello Kent,

But it's possible to fix many problems even now!

What would you tell if something VERY simple is implemented like - reporting
every emerge failed due to slot conflict back home with details for inspection?

If maintainers had that kind of data then they could learn from the wild. I don't \
know what  they would learn but I know it would be a very useful experience that \
might jump start  evolution - useful updates to emerge and other tools. Almost every \
system designed by nature has  feedback functions. It's the safe update - it will \
work even if not optimal from the start or even if it's not clear what it will help \
to learn. The quality of ebuilds would improve too.

And from the useful life database new tools could evolve like - bug reporting \
automatization a  whole new world of tool.

http://db.gentoo.org/report/

     System: System name
       Arch:
Package emerged: ....
Environment: ....
Dependency graph: .... -> ... -> ...
Fail message:

* 3 reports per day are accepted from one single IP
* no dups

http://db.gentoo.org/stats/

- SlickGrid stats

Arch Package How many times Failed Fail message

Click on Package -> Dependency Graph

If GENTOO had everything emerging from any state (goal unattainable but desirable) \
that  would be a great advantage for the users. That feel of a lean mean machine that \
saves time - it's  tasty - new fans warranted.