--001a11c124f63ec0f005002399a4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 On 9 August 2014 07:34, Peter Stuge wrote: > ebuilds often (for me) have artificial dependencies, when the actual > version required is too old to be in the tree, but maybe not too old > to be installed on an existing system. > The inverse is also true, sometimes you see people go: "Well, upstream requires Foo 1.5 at least, but we have 2.0 as the oldest in tree, so we can just say dev-whatever/Foo and be done with it" Which turns out to be horribly wrong if somebody still has Foo 1.4 installed, for whatever reason. And this is just one reason why being excessively lazy about what you upgrade could be secretly detrimental. -- Kent *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL --001a11c124f63ec0f005002399a4 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

ebuilds often (for= me) have artificial dependencies, when the actual
version required is too old to be in the tree, but maybe not too old
to be installed on an existing system.

The inverse is also true, sometimes you see pe= ople go:

"Well, upstream requ= ires Foo 1.5 at least, but we have 2.0 as the oldest in tree,
=C2=A0 so we can just say dev-whatever/Foo= =C2=A0 and be done with it"

Wh= ich turns out to be horribly wrong if somebody still has Foo 1.4 installed,= for whatever reason.

And this is just one reason why being = excessively lazy about what you upgrade could be secretly detrimental.
=
--001a11c124f63ec0f005002399a4--