List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] We should lastrite splashutils in it's current form and not allow it in tree before
From:       Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-07-21 20:31:42

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I'm not against dropping splashutils, but is there an alternative to
> > creating or managing framebuffer-splash in the tree?  fbsplash doesn't
> > seem to be there (tho i don't know if that's the same upstream package
> > or not)
>
> Fbsplash is a part of splashutils. There is also an fbcondecor kernel
> patch, apparently maintained by someone else now. Splashutils have an
> extremely complex structure of daemons, control programs, and
> interaction with the kernel via UVESAFB — I had to revisit this
> structure every time I had to change something wrt. splashutils
> integration.
>
> Not to claim that plymouth is the solution — last time I tried it (~ 2
> years ago) it was practically unusable with OpenRC. It took control of
> the console in some weird and buggy way, etc. I guess you could
> integrate it into a specific system with specific video driver, but I
> gave up on plymouth as a generic solution. Maybe it works well with
> systemd, but from what I gathered the last time, it is (or used to be)
> explicitly disabled on unsupported video cards by the relevant
> distros.

Well, at the moment plymouth works fine for me with OpenRC. I've installed
plymouth-openrc-plugin and it's ok, despite being old and rather
unmaintained. FYI, I use plymouth with dracut initramfs generator.
And I also heard from maintainer (I'm proxy maintainer of plymouth) that it
works with systemd too.