List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
From:       "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-03-31 20:35:12

On 03/31/2014 01:50 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 30/03/14 23:45, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
>>
>> Your input will be considered here with all the weight it deserves.  My
>> mask was to force this discussion on the list and it has done it's job
>> well.
>
> So, you admit breaking the policy of gentoo-dev being a optional ML
> for developers[1]
>
> I really dislike the recent trend of some newer developers trying to force
> everything to be discussed here, even if the involved people have already
> discussed it elsewhere with relavent people

Given that the eudev maintainers already said these changes were made
without discussing with them, clearly you missed some "relevant" people.

Additionally, it was only after the added attention which I brought that
it was noticed that the udev ebuilds had improper pdepends on the
virtual.  If not for the added eyes and attention who knows when that
would have been caught, likely after stabilization.  You are welcome for
the bug fix.

> [1]
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap3
>
> "3.h. Mailing lists
> All developers must be subscribed to the gentoo-core and
> gentoo-dev-announce mailing lists. All developers should be subscribed
> to gentoo-dev and gentoo-project,"
>
> *should*, not *must*
>
> Likewise, http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/virtuals/index.html
>
> "Before adding a new virtual, it should be discussed on |gentoo-dev|."
>
> *should*, not *must*
>
> You can't change the policies on your own without rest of the QA team,
> rest of the council, and so forth.

I didn't change the policy, I felt that your change was important enough
that it deserved discussion, especially after bugs were found AND
relevant people were mentioning on irc that they were unhappy about
being left out.

> QA is for enforcing estabilished policies, not making up them as you go
> based on your personal likes and dislikes.
>
> Futhermore no productive discussion has happened here as you masqueraded
> the use of subslotting you supposedly want to be discussed,
> to be somehow udev specific.

I want the the fact that a single package now has one virtual per lib so
that proper subslot rebuilds can happen to be discussed.  Earlier in
this thread, before you divulged into personal attacks, it was discussed
lightly.  Clearly, no one felt strongly against it, and with this
discussion done, I am happy to be out of your way on this.

> But that's not suprising as you yourself admitted you started all of
> this only because you saw the word 'udev':
>
> Freenode, #gentoo-qa, at the same time you started this endeavour:
>
> 18:19 <@Zero_Chaos> granted, the udev changes sparked this line of thought.

I know english isn't everyone's first language, but even completely out
of context this statement doesn't at all mean what you are claiming it
does.  I couldn't possibly care less that this was udev related.  "the
udev changes sparked this line of thought" means that the changes to
udev made me think of how using virtuals in this new way could possibly
be dangerous.  I had previously not noticed the same was suggested (and
shot down) for poplar, so this was a completely new idea which had not
been discussed anywhere I have seen.  Again, now that I brought it to
- -dev (after you refused to do so) and no one else seems to care, I am
out of your way, and I hope it goes as well as you believe it will.

> So, congratulations for making the QA team look like a crapshoot once again.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:48

"In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
break QA standards, an appeal can be made at the next council meeting.
The package should be dealt with per QA's request until such a time that
a decision is made by the council."

Per GLEP 48 your actions of reverting the QA mask (the first time) was
entirely inappropriate, and your personal attacks on me are even more
so.  While you flaunt the fact that the rules do not apply to you maybe
you should be less concerned with how QA looks and more concerned with
how your behavior makes you look.

We can continue this pointless back and forth for as long as you like,
but honestly, there will be no winner, only two losers.  Let's just wait
for comrel to resolve my complaint against you with no action and move
on with our lives.  I think we both have better things to do, I know I do.

Thanks,
Zero