List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] crossdev and multilib interference
From:       Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-03-29 1:21:32

On Wednesday 26 of March 2014 02:07:56 Mike Frysinger wrote:

> cmake is completely broken when it comes to library searching and multilib and
> cross-compiling.  it will happily look in hardcoded / paths to test for the
> existence of files as well as directly execute `pkg-config`.  it's a great
> example of people saying "autotools is crap, so let's invent our own kind of
> crap and ignore lessons learned".  this isn't the fault of cmake eclasses, but
> it'd be nice if we could someone standardize the hacks in there so we don't
> have to duplicate across ebuilds.

If we provided toolchain.cmake (passed to CMake via -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=<path>) \
file for each crossdev, that could not only set compiler paths/etc but also override \
CMAKE_SYSTEM_PREFIX_PATH, we would get pretty close to autotools.

Yes, CMake has pretty rudimentary (to put it mildly..) cross-compilation support but \
it still can be done there somewhat "right".

regards
MM