List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
From:       William Hubbs <williamh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-03-18 15:04:15

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:36:02PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > for bug 373219 [1], we are working on providing a functions.sh that does
> > not rely on OpenRc so that people who are not using OpenRc can
> > completely remove it from their systems.
> >
> > I can now report that gentoo-functions has been added to the tree. Also,
> > I have opened a tracker [2] that explains how to change packages that
> > source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. They should first check for the
> > existence of /lib/gentoo/functions.sh and source that. If it doesn't
> > exist, they should source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. Also, do not add
> > hard dependencies to your packages on gentoo-functions. The goal is to
> > add gentoo-functions to @system once it is stable.
>
> After reading some posts further in this thread, and discussing on IRC
> with William, I decided to do the following with
> app-admin/python-updater-0.12:
>
> 1. Changed . /etc/init.d/functions.sh to . /lib/gentoo/functions.sh.
> This way I don't need to worry about testing against two different
> implementations.
>
> 2. Added a hard dependency on sys-apps/gentoo-functions. Being
> explicit about dependencies is better than leaving it up to the
> implicit @systemd dependency.
>
> If someone has a really good argument for why I should instead
> implement this as William originally described above, I am open to
> changing my approach.

After this discussion with Mike, and the comments in this thread, it is
probably better to do this -- refer to /lib/gentoo/functions.sh instead
and make your package have a hard dependency on gentoo-functions.

Keep in mind that this applies only to packages that need to run with
OpenRC not being on the system.

William