List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
From:       Michał Górny <mgorny () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-02-28 23:59:31

Dnia 2014-02-28, o godz. 15:28:30
Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> It would be very helpful if INSTALL_MASK could be overriden from an
> ebuild, if user hasn't
> set otherwise.
> So it could be configured like USE_ORDER which is
> "env:pkg:conf:defaults:pkginternal:repo:env.d"
> So INSTALL_MASK_ORDER like "ebuild:${user's own INSTALL_MASK}"
> This would be very helpful in preventing people from shooting themself
> in the foot
>
> The only problem is that I propably don't have enough python skills to
> make that happen w/
> sys-apps/portage. But does the suggestion make sense? Should I open a
> feature request bug?

I don't think this really makes sense. It sounds like putting a new
carpet on top of spoiled milk.

INSTALL_MASK is pretty much complete by itself. Letting ebuilds
override INSTALL_MASK is pretty much going against the main goal
of INSTALL_MASK. And this is going to cause users to want to override
the override...

Which, pretty much, means that the hacks are going to pile up.

How about just checking INSTALL_MASK in pkg_pretend() and dying when it
removes udev? That should work and be quite easy to implement.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny