List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] first steps in gentoo devolment
From:       "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-02-22 20:33:41

On 2/19/14, 8:05 AM, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Am I right I have to make a local repo to test if it's build.

Yeah, I suggest just using /usr/local/portage and adding it to
PORTDIR_OVERLAY in make.conf.

> And does ebuild x.ebuild  manifest also builds the package or do I have=

> to use emerge x for that.

Please see "man 1 ebuild" for explanation what the commands do.

It's probably good to indeed use emerge for full end-to-end testing.

> And for testing Is repoman scan enough after looking if the package can=

> installed of course.

Feel free to use repoman. IMHO building, installing and using the
package is a much more important test, but repoman can point out issues
even though the package seems to work.

> I have looked into the manuals but I cannot find a clear answer.

Which docs have you checked? Make sure to see <http://devmanual.gentoo.or=
g/>

Good luck, and glad to hear you're working on contributing to Gentoo.

Pawe=C5=82