List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] some multilib-minimal enhancements [5/6]: add frob to control phase parallelization
From:       Greg Turner <gmt () malth ! us>
Date:       2013-12-31 2:55:35

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Very limited usefulness, a lot of extra complexity. We'd rather work on
> making eclasses simpler.

Sorry to beat a potentially dead horse, but many days later, I still
can't bring myself to agree with this, at least, not with respect to
src_compile.

The patch to the eclass is trivial and easily understood.  The
MULTILIB_PARALLEL_PHASES interface seems intuitive, just name the
phases you want parallel-ized in the string...  Where's the
complexity?

If end-users would rather not risk it, they can set MAKEOPTS=-j1.  If
ebuild authors suspect that their particular ebuilds will have
parallel build problems, they can simply do nothing, and their
multilib-minimal-based ebuild would be non-abi-parallel.  It all seems
pretty reasonable to me.

As for usefulness -- if someone wants to sit around and wait for three
dev-qt/qtwebkit compiles in a row to complete, one-at-a-time, then I
guess it's not useful to them.  Personally, it'd be useful to me.  I
can't imagine I'm the only person who feels that way.

-gmt