List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Recommend cronie instead of vixie-cron in handbook?
From:       Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-15 18:51:05

On Sunday 15 of December 2013 00:13:09 Peter Stuge wrote:
| Markos Chandras wrote:
| > Please do not let Peter render another thread useless.
|
| Isn't it obvious that the discussion about forks is both related to
| cron *and* useful on its own?

I think there's some misunderstanding (or otherwise trolling).
There's no discussion as there are no competing forks. There is discontinued
(judged by upstream and bug activity) project and there is follow-up project.

| It's not really possible to view an entire thread as a single item.
| Life is more complicated than that, for good and bad.
|
| Finally, consider that even if what I write makes you personally
| uncomfortable it may still be useful for the community as a whole.

In this particular thread, lecturing us on forks (in ex. not always being
automatically profitable), while at the same time likely being unaware of
status of vixie-cron development and its Gentoo maintenance story, then
trying to get what we define as 'dead upstream' in pretentious one-liners like
someone's life depended on it is what Markos called it - useless - not 'personally
uncomfortable'.

| You can only decide what is useless for you - and I don't care even
| if you think that I'm useless for Gentoo (I didn't say that you've
| said so, I am only saying if!) but I do care if you claim that your
| opinion is representative of the entire community, as you did above.
| That's not cool.

Neither is trolling. Please be so kind and discontinue this practice.
Thanks for understanding.

regards
MM